Thursday, November 3, 2016

Life and Death


I am grateful that I live near a graveyard.  Morbid?  Maybe.  But it is in such a lovely spot, and every time I run or drive by it, I am struck by how beautiful it is.  It often reminds me of how grateful I should be to be alive, and how much peace comes to me through my powerful belief in life after death.  I like imagining what the lives of those resting there might've been like, too.  There is one stone in particular, close to the sidewalk, that marks the grave of a wife that died when she was only 26, in the early 1900s.  I like to wonder about her.  

Tyler and I walked through this graveyard a couple of months ago while we were on a date.  It was fascinating.  I especially liked seeing the markers for those that died fighting in WWI and WWII.  So, so sad.  I liked offering mental salutes to each grave I read, hoping they'd somehow feel my respect.  It's so strange to imagine being dead.  It seems like something that will never actually happen to me, even though I know better.  A feeling common to all of us, I'd imagine.  Hopefully, I don't die soon and turn this blog post into prophetic irony!  :)  


Today, I am also grateful for weather that meant that I needed to wear my sunglasses while driving.  We haven't seen the sun in quite awhile around these parts...


Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment