Wednesday, September 7, 2016

First Step...

For a few years now, I've thought about becoming a personal trainer/running coach.  It seemed like a perfect career choice for me: I'm passionate about running and exercise, I would get to set my own hours (perfect for a stay-at-home mom), it would help me to stick to my own athletic goals, and I love the idea of helping people set and reach their own athletic goals.  Plus, I'm bossy and controlling, and I'd get paid to tell people what to do.  Sweet.  ;)  

But...I always convinced myself that I wasn't "right" for the job.  I needed to be skinnier, stronger, faster, cooler (haha), etc.  No one would want someone as imperfect as me to be their trainer.  


My therapist, Lillie, had this to say about that: if she were to ever get into running, she would rather have a more average, "normal" person (like me) as her coach, rather than a specimen of physical perfection.  She said she'd find that much less intimidating.  And I think most people, especially beginners, would feel the same way.  I think it would be easier for people to believe that I could relate to their struggles with their insecurities.  Now, obviously, specimens of physical perfection can still be excellent, relatable trainers/coaches, but what I was perceiving as a weakness in myself could actually be a strength in my coaching, rather than a detriment.  My insecurities were not legitimate reasons to not pursue coaching.     

Another thing Lillie recently said had a powerful impact on me.  As I told her how I was feeling about my life lately, she said that while I certainly still battle depression and anxiety, it sounds like my life isn't very fulfilling for me, independent of my illnesses.  And she's right.  I am very blessed, but I do not find very much fulfillment in staying home and raising babies.  I'm just not that kind of woman.  And that's okay.  I'm done feeling guilty about that aspect of my personality!  Lillie suggested that I start dreaming.  What could I pursue that was for me?  What could I do that would help me to feel fulfilled, and as a result, be a happier, better mom?  I'm still working on what a fulfilled life, for me, would look like, but the first thing I thought of was becoming a trainer/coach.  

First, I reached out to a friend of mine that is a personal trainer.  She told me about her experience, and then graciously put me in touch with a friend of hers that has been a running coach for many years.  That lovely lady gave me lots of good information and then informed me that the Road Runners Club of America had just added another coaching certification course to their end-of-the-year schedule, and it was in Seattle!  It felt like a sign!  Those courses fill up quickly, and I'd already missed my one chance for the year, I thought.  But a few clicks (and a big chunk of moolah) later, and I was in!  So, on October 8th and 9th, I will be spending all day with other running nerds, learning about how to coach runners of all abilities.  I'm extremely nervous, but also really excited!  The first thing I needed to do was to become CPR/First Aid certified.  A couple of weeks ago, I completed the necessary course, and got this card as proof:


As silly as it might sound, even just taking the CPR/First Aid course was intimidating to me, so I'm proud of myself for stepping outside of my comfort zone.  It kinda' feels like I'm taking a bit of myself back from the mental illnesses.  This is all stuff the old Jess would've done, and for the most part, I really liked her.  

If anyone's in the market for a newbie running coach, hit me up in about a month, and I'm all yours!  I need some guinea pigs to experiment on as I build up my resume.  :)  

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment