Saturday, August 22, 2015

Cutting Myself Some Slack...

Today began with a fantastic run!  Fantastic because I didn't push my long-suffering knees beyond what they can currently bear.  I didn't let my pride and insecurities rule my workout, for once.  I am now one day closer to being able to run as far as I want, without any damn walk breaks.  Victory!  

Running was followed by swimming laps at The Valley (where we have a gym membership) with Alicia and Maia.  For several years, I've wanted to become a much better swimmer, but I've felt shy about swimming in front of other people because I know I'm not very good at it.  I can get from Point A to Point B just fine, but I'm not particularly graceful or efficient.  I finally decided that I needed to simply go for it and not let what anyone else might be thinking rule my actions.  What a silly way to live, eh?  I think it's something that most of us struggle with, though, in one way or another.  So, I now try to swim laps once a week, and it feels like such a win every time I do.  I still fight my insecurities the entire time and have to deal with the voice in my head that says that if I can't swim perfectly than I am worthless and wasting my time, but it's worth it.  

I decided today that the idea of not eating treats for 30 days is making me too miserable.  In an effort to find balance, but to also honor my goal of finding non-food sources of joy, I am going to allow myself to eat treats on Saturday.  And only Saturday.  I feel good about this plan!  It's more realistic, as I want to find a way to maintain my weight loss that I can sustain for the rest of my life.  I only have a few more pounds to lose to be at my healthiest weight, anyway.  I blame Trader Joe's for this alteration to my plan.  Their chocolate-covered raisins and S'mores bites were simply too much for my treat-starved soul to resist.  

Some of today's high points:


Alicia and I enjoyed a good chunk of quality coloring time while our wee-est babes dozed.  


Maia made delicious blueberry muffins (I command you to ignore my dirty oven!).  


My "Real Simple" magazine subscription is going to expire soon.  As it was a gift from my mom, they sent her this letter asking about renewing the gift and it really made me laugh to see what they wrote on the envelope.  Ah, "Real Simple", my poor mother has been wondering about that very problem for years!  What is to be done with me?!?!  :)


Chef Alicia made us the most delicious dinner and dessert crepes tonight!  The dinner ones were filled with cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, ham, bell peppers, basil and herbs de Provence.  Ooh la la!  We had melted chocolate, melted marshmallows, whipped cream, strawberries, and lemon curd for the dessert ones.  Culinary perfection!  


Three deer pranced about the field behind our house for awhile this evening.  

Time for a chick flick with Alicia while the menfolk protect us by destroying virtual enemies on small screens...

2 comments:

  1. Sending you hugs and pats on the back for getting in the pool every week. Your experience reminds me of Phoebe running. I loved how she didn't care how others perceived her. Your way of swimming may be unique, but still gets you to where you want to go, so I'd say that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ruth! I appreciate it! And I love all the "Friends" references. They're further proof that you and I would get along famously, if we were ever able to hang out. :) I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete