Thursday, October 20, 2016

I did it!


My course book and homework assignment (after the first day of instruction): a marathon training plan for an imaginary runner.

On October 8th and 9th, I attended the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) Coaching Certification Level 1 course in Seattle.  From 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. each day, I sat in a classroom on the University of Washington campus with 30 or so other running enthusiasts, and talked running.  It was awesome!  Our instructor, Randy Accetta, is a very accomplished runner and running coach, and the director of coaching education for RRCA.  He is also hilarious.  I was rather intimidated by some of the other class participants, despite everyone being friendly and kind.  There were Ironman finishers, Boston Marathon qualifiers, ultra-marathoners, and people that had been coaching athletes for years.  My insecurities were pleased that there were a few people there like me, too: middle-of-the-pack runners with no formal coaching experience.


At the end of Day 1, outside the building we met in.  


I loved how the building we spent two days in was nestled in the trees and surrounded by greenery.

In order to be certified, I had to take a 100 question multiple-choice test and get at least an 85% on it.  I took it a few days after I attended the course, and I was thrilled to get a grade of 96%!  Whoo-hoo!  So, I am now an official RRCA certified running coach!  


At the beginning of Day 2, leaving the parking garage to walk on campus.  The U of W stadium is behind me.  

 

Despite the rain, it was a beautiful Sunday morning.

Although attending this course taught me that I can trust my 25+ years of running experience more than I thought, it also showed me that in order to be the kind of coach I want to be, I have a lot to learn.  Most of that learning can only come with experience and through trial-and-error, but I also have a long list of recommended resources that I want to start reading in an effort to expand my knowledge base.  I'm thinking that I will take this time to focus on designing training plans for myself and a couple of other close friends that have requested help, while continuing to educate myself.  Once Tess is in preschool (next year, maybe?), then I will explore coaching as a career.  I'm wading into the coaching pool slowly, starting at the shallow end.  But if anyone reading this is interested in my help now, I'll be happy to at least talk to you about that!  :)

It was very difficult for me to spend the weekend away from my family and home.  For whatever reason, my anxiety was sky-high every second I wasn't in class.  I think my mental illnesses were angry that I was doing something SO out of my comfort zone and that they'd been telling me for a long time wasn't something I was good enough to do.  I wasn't obeying them and it really pissed them off.  Plus, my hotel (Travelodge University Seattle) was GROSS.  Seriously.  I had to kill a hobo spider in the bathroom, and I found a dead louse in the sheets.  It was a nightmare for the loud part of me that values cleanliness above almost everything else.  By the time I got home on Sunday night, I was mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted.  But I DID it.  At first I didn't see it this way (feeling that anxious only felt like a failure), but now I know (thank you, therapists!) that my experience that weekend was a massive, huge victory for me.  I can do really, really hard things.  

And if I can do hard things, you can too.  Especially as you pursue what you love.  I think it's telling that I wasn't very anxious when I was in class.  I think that's because I was engaged in something that I am passionately interested in.  When we follow our loves and interests, I think we tap into who we are at our very core.  The part of us that is complete and whole and perfect and powerful.  And that feels really, really good.  

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment